The 411 on Lactation Cookies (and a No-Bake Cookie Recipe!)
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 60% of mothers do not breastfeed for as long as they intend to. Why?
This can occur for many different reasons, including:
- Issues with lactation and latching
- Concerns about infant nutrition and weight
- Mother’s concern about taking medications while breastfeeding
- Unsupportive work policies and lack of parental leave
- Cultural norms and/or lack of family support
- Unsupportive hospital practices and policies
As so many moms face these challenges, there are a ton of different products on the market that claim to support healthy lactation, one of them being lactation cookies. For the breastfeeding mom concerned about her milk supply, easy no-bake lactation cookies can be an easy solution!
Boosting your milk supply:
So because there’s no such thing as too many quick and easy ways to boost your milk supply, we’ve got yet another no-bake lactation cookies recipe for you.
When you’re breastfeeding, your body’s demand for protein is 20 percent higher than when not pregnant or lactating. That means that protein is essential for the production of breast milk to nourish your growing baby.
Whether you’re a first-time mama or are a mom to several, you’ve probably heard about the benefits of lactation cookies. Many breastfeeding moms swear by these treats and consider them to be an easy (and tasty!) way to boost and maintain your milk supply.
Some common questions about the benefits of lactation cookies:
- Will Lactation Cookies Cause Oversupply? If you’re not struggling with milk production, don’t worry–eating lactation cookies won’t cause you to produce more milk than you need! However, because of the ingredients found in the cookies, they can still be a fantastic snack to fuel your motherhood journey. Plus, they’re great for the whole family, too!
- Do Lactation Cookies Make You Gain Weight? Just like any food, it’s best to enjoy them in moderation, of course! Aside from weight gain, eating too much of anything can create gaps in your diet, which is why it’s essential to eat a variety of foods. When it comes to our lactation cookies, you don’t have to worry about any added sugars or preservatives that could potentially lead to weight gain. We recommend enjoying 1-2 cookies per day!
- Do Lactation Cookies Work Right Away? The benefits of lactation cookies work reasonably quickly, but consistency is key! We recommend enjoying them one hour before breastfeeding or pumping. If you do this consistently, you’ll start to see results!
No-Bake Lactation Cookies
- 2 cups steamed sweet potato
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 ½ scoops lactation protein powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 drops Stevia
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Transfer dough to a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once chilled, begin scooping out your cookies. Roll them into balls and then roll them in any topping you want, such as shredded coconut.
- Enjoy! You can store your cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Credit: Source link